Qualification: Social rehabilitator
Code of the study programme: 41762
Length of studies: 2 years, 120 ECTS
Studies on budget resources provided by the state
Level of Education: short cycle of the professional higher education
Studies take place: Jūrmala (Vidus prospekts 38, Bulduri), Rēzekne (N. Rancāna iela 23a, Rēzekne)
Mode of studies: full time studies
Previous education: secondary education
Head of study programme: Mg.sc.educ. Ina Vīksniņa
Description of speciality
Social rehabilitator participates in development of social rehabilitation plans for clients, inclusion of whom into society is impeded by various social, mental or physical impediments; promotes acquisition, development and maintenance of social skills for clients; realizes clients’ social activization, urges the client to show interest, wish and ability to live independently and fully; evaluates the results of social rehabilitation services provided and draws up suggestions for their improvement; promotes participation of the client in choice and reception of social rehabilitation services, drafting up and realisation of rehabilitation plan.
Social rehabilitator works in social welfare, health care system, social service provider institutions, associations or private companies registered in social care provider registry and provides for healthcare, rehabilitation and social rehabilitation services.
Main professional tasks of a Social rehabilitator
- To perform evaluation of his/her client’s social functioning – to identify hindrances in client’s social functioning, to determine the level of social skills and activities, to ascertain client’s wishes and social needs.
- To collaborate with social worker – to take part in drafting and realisation of an individual social rehabilitation plan, to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- To follow process of acquisition, development and maintenance of a client’s social skills – to form client’s understanding of behavioural norms in society, to develop the ability to act in high risk/stress situations, to teach interaction and communication skills, to develop the ability to orientate in social environments.
- To survey and attract resources, to collaborate with family members and support persons of the client.
- To evaluate social care services provided, improve professional knowledge and skills in process of continuing education, to maintain one’s professional competence.
- To work in a multidisciplinary team, in collaboration with other health and social care professionals and institutions, to provide for confidentiality of information provided and observe a non-discriminative practice.
Goal of the study programm
To prepare qualified, competitive social work specialists who provide quality social care services in accordance with their professional competencies, understand the basic principles and values of providing social services in working with various target groups, to ensure observation of human rights and social justice in society.
Practical realisation of study programm
Implementation of the study programme “Social Rehabilitation” is carried out through various forms of studies and different learning methods, which include lectures, seminars, practical work both individually and in groups, as well as analysis of practical problems and situations.
In learning practices, which are carried out both on college premises as well as social care and social rehabilitation institutions, the lecturer works with groups of students (6-8 students each). In learning practices students reinforce their knowledge and skills while working under the guidance of a teacher.
Study courses to be acquired
The study programme offers a chance to acquire general education, vocational training and professional study courses.
General education courses:
Theories of developmental psychology, Theories of developmental psychology, Anatomy and physiology, Professional terminology in English, Applied informatics and data processing, Basics of business and project management and others.
Vocational and professional study courses include:
Social rehabilitation, Basics of deviantology, Basics of psychiatry and social rehabilitation of clients, Disability and social rehabilitation, Oncology and psychosocial rehabilitation, Child’s health and social rehabilitation, Global social work and innovation, Social services system, First aid and others.
During acquisition of study programme two practices in social care and social rehabilitation institutions are planned.
Collaboration is realised:
- between the college and employers, to create feedback and ensure that the knowledge and skills of graduates corresponds to the needs of the work market. Collaboration with employers is realised in several fields: ensuring of places of practice, guarantee of unity of education and practice, realisation of research and projects, involvement in study process;
- between the college and other European higher education and social care institutions with the goal to promote collaboration and mobility of student and academic personnel body between European countries. Collaboration is realised both within the framework of ERASMUS+ project, as well as based on inter-institutional collaboration agreements.
- between the college and other Latvian higher education institutions as regards participation in scientific conferences, projects, possibilities to continue studies in the field of social welfare.
Possibilities in labour market
Services of social rehabilitators are in high demand in labour market. Graduates can choose a specific field of social rehabilitation services for a definite target group – children, seniors, persons with disability, e.g. - and specialize in it.
Further study opportunities
The graduates of study program “Social rehabilitation” have the opportunity to continue education in bachelor study program “Social work”.